I say hopefully, as when you fly standby with buddy passes you are not guaranteed on the flight. That is how we ended up in New York in December 2001 as the flights to HK where we intended to go where all booked sold. The airline rules for standby mean Linda's brother has to fly with us and he will be taking Linda's mum too. They will likely join a tour and go on to Malaysia, leaving us to go to China, Vietnam, Cambodia and maybe elsewhere.
Itinerary so far is very loose. We are going for about 4 weeks, and this about all we have so far
- 2 days roughly in Hong Kong
- 2 days travel through Shenzhen to Hanoi via Train and/or bus
- 3 days in Hanoi (maybe 2 before Ha Long, one after) Possibly staying here as we have heard good things about them and have been in touch by email.
- 3 day 2 night tour to Ha Long Bay, Cat Ba
- several days to travel South to Ho Chi Minh...that's as specific as we have so far for this section!
- 2 to 3 days in Ho Chi Minh
- 3 days for Mekong Delta and on to Phnom Penh
- 2 days Phnom Penh
- Travel to Siem Reap, 2-3 days there and at Angkor Wat
- Maybe fly from Siem Reap to Macua or Shenzhen if time is short, if less so travel to Battambang and Bangkok to get flight from there to close to Hong Kong. Shenzhen is just inside China from H/K and accessible by local transit. Macau has lots of fast ferry options to H/K